Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Fleet Feet December 5 & 6, 2009 CPE Trial, Turner, OR

At long last....I'm posting my videos from this last weekend's trial. My son, Zach, came along both days and was a sweetheart to video our runs. I do have to give him huge kudos for coming, too, as the temperatures hovered just about freezing or below even inside the barn. He spent quite a bit of time curled up on Vegas' bed with her in front of our portable propane heater in between runs and working.

Okay, so the only run he missed filming was the very first one of the weekend. I came out of the ring and he said, "Mom, I got the whole thing! Except I forgot to push the record button!" Only out of the mouth of a 10 year old....
Standard Level 3 - Round 1 - Saturday, December 5, 2009

Standard Round 2 - Level 3 - Saturday, December 5, 2009




Snooker - Level 2 - Saturday, December 5, 2009

Snooker used to be our nemesis. It took us a lot more tries in Level 1 than I want to admit to successfully run and qualify in Snooker, but I believe I can now categorize Snooker as "just a game" as we ran for the first time in Level 2 and passed it right away. It's one of those classes for large dogs such as Vegas that can be extremely difficult because their stride is so long and you feel like you're quickly pulling them over and off other obstacles. There rarely is a flowing pattern you can establish to successfully complete the requirements of the class. However, fits and starts and all, we flew through this one with ease. Great job, Vegas!


Jumpers- Level 2 - Saturday, December 5, 2009

Originally I walked the Level 3 jumpers course and wasn't as happy because it had an extra tunnel and I knew as the last run of the day that would be more difficult on Vegas, especially in below freezing temperatures. However, having walked the wrong course, I got lucky when I walked the correct one (Level 1 and 2 combined) and had one less tunnel. I even told the judge that it seemed like the course was designed for us with it's long flowing run of jumps prior to two back-to-back tunnels and then the finish line. Vegas handled the course like the pro she's becoming finishing it in under 26 seconds.



Jackpot- Level 2 - Sunday, December 6, 2009

Games courses first thing in the morning can be a good thing or a bad thing. Sunday, it was a good thing. Even though Vegas took some obstacles on her own that I didn't direct her, this is usually okay as she accumulated points anyway. You'll notice her take the big double and that wasn't something I told her to do, but it was okay as it was worth 5 points. In addition, she took the tunnel when I wanted her to take the a-frame, but the tunnel was worth 3 points and we still got to do the a-frame.





Standard Round 1 - Level 3 - Sunday, December 6, 2009

Standard Round 2 - Level 3 - Sunday, December 6, 2009


Wildcard - Level 3 - Sunday, December 6, 2009

If you listen very closely, you might hear me yell "dammit!" Yeah, this was a frustrating run. The judge likes discriminations, which is fine, except when you have a giant dog whose body is tired of tunnels and you put a dog walk or other contact obstacle next to it. She planted her feet on the dog walk twice giving us two off course faults. Please note my exasperation pointing to the tunnels.... In hindsight, I learned something. I will pay attention in such cold weather for Vegas' responses again and may not compete during such frigid months when the venue will be so cold. It might just be asking too much on a dog with no protection against the elements and such a strain on her body as the tunnels.
Colors - Level 2 - Sunday, December 6, 2009

Our last course of the weekend and I was able to choose a course with just two tunnels. Vegas handled herself like a pro and finished very quickly again, moving up into Level 3 for Colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment