Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Canine Nose Work Supplies

I finally ordered some supplies to continue training Vegas in Canine Nose Work. Classes are really expensive and nothing close enough to me that has fit our schedule lately so I figured I would continue on at home. Following the guidelines for introduction to scent, I plan on using the Birch scent first. Here are the items I am expecting:

  • Essential Oil: Birch
  • Essential Oil: Anise
  • Essential Oil: Clove
  • Tweezers
  • Cotton Swabs: White stubs
  • Cotton Swabs: Black
  • Small Tin
Unfortunately the purchase is a bit anti-climatic now. Once the order was placed I learned it will take 2-3 weeks before my order is shipped. I understand why, but I'm one of those instant gratification types. So, there won't be any progression on the nose work front for now. Oh well; I'm going to look for a good book or keep reading the website and training materials I can find online and then I'll be ready in a few weeks. There is a sanctioned trial in a couple of months which is exciting. This is a fast growing sport and I think Vegas will be successful. She is really into sniffing, sometimes too much as she forgets I have the treat and stops working with me to "sniff" out the treat, convinced I've hidden it from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment