Friday, April 2, 2010

Marmaduke - The Reality of Choosing a Great Dane (Part 1 of 3)

Usually the purpose of my blog is about training Danes in agility and other sports to which they are non-traditional. At times I feel there are other areas I would like to share, most particularly those which I feel passionate about. Here is my soapbox:

Buying a dog should never be an impulsive decision. Buying a dog that may outweigh you should be even less so. Great Danes are not for everyone. I know they are incredible, wonderful, amazing, and I cannot imagine my life without one. However, when Hollywood does something "cute" like the making of 101 Dalmatians or Beverly Hills Chihuahua, or the upcoming Marmaduke, I get really nervous for some really great breeds. I believe strongly in breeding for the right reasons and following the right procedures. Those things being, proper structure, conformation, temperament, having health tested, know your lines, know color genetics, and proofing the breeding to allow for the best specimin and improvement to the breed. Too many people don't and this movie has surely already got the proverbial "buns in the oven." This sickens me. So, without further ado, please read part one in a three-part series that I have written that will be published in Spot Magazine, a publication for "Everything pet in the Northwest."

http://www.spotmagazine.net/features/2010/4/1/marmaduke-the-reality-of-choosing-a-great-dane.html

4 comments:

  1. great article! there are a couple typos/grammatical/unedited parts in there though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. It also makes people get the idea that breeding a litter is a quick way to make some money, so the backyard breeders will start popping up all over the place - of course with no prenatal care or testing.

    I love Great Danes - there are actually very few (less than 10) breeds that I can honestly say I have no interest in ever having. BUT, I'm grateful that I have the sense/impulse control to know what breeds would not be a good fit in the family at this point.

    I really enjoyed your article, and can't wait to read the other sections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reading - and for appreciating the sentiments I wanted to get across.

    (As to the typos and mistakes that were pointed out - they will be corrected shortly. Apparently imported MS Word "track changes" shows even when they have been approved. Who would have known?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We Siberian Husky lovers feel your pain after Snow Dogs, Eight Below, etc. No matter what the breed, potential owners should really understand the breed and its quirks.

    ReplyDelete